Tradition & History
Johann Karl Silbernagel lays the foundation
for our success and founds the brewery in Bellheim,
which will become the Brauerei Karl Silbernagel AG.
After the war there was a strong economic upswing - the clientele grew. Beer was even delivered to Germersheim. Later, customers were also acquired in Bergzabern, Kapsweyer, Knittelsheim, Bobenthal, Weißenburg and Landau.
A large storage cellar was built on the brewery site. The old cellar at Gollenberg was only used for storing raw ice.
After Linde invented the refrigerating machine, the brewery acquired the first ice machine - a progressive investment. The brewing process was no longer seasonal and was now no longer dependent on natural ice.
The brewery achieved an annual output of 30,000 hectolitres. Electric lighting was installed throughout the whole brewery. A new 90 HP steam engine was used to generate energy (this technology was used until 1958).
An above-ground pivoting and filling hall was installed. At the turn of the century the brewery was already an important business in the Palatinate.
Brewery founder Johann Karl Silbernagel appointed his sons Karl, Hermann and Otto to the management of the Brauerei Karl Silbernagel OHG.
Karl Silbernagel took over the management of the brewery, while the brothers had to do their military service.
20. September 1923
The municipality of Bellheim emitted emergency money totalling 150 million marks. The total amount was already used up after 2 days, and so the companies were forced to help themselves. The brewery issued its own emergency money worth 86 million marks.
16. Januar 1924
Johann Karl Silbernagel, the founder of the brewery, dies.
In 1928 the Karl Silbernagel OHG in converted into a stock corporation.
The French leave the Palatinate. In Ludwigshafen a branch could be opened and the brewery could gain a foothold in Mannheim.
Franz Hage is appointed to the Management Board.
The own malthouse produces 4/5 of the required malt. About 2,000 tons of malting barley are sourced annually, mainly from the Southern Palatinate.
A new malt silo was constructed and the vehicle fleet was expanded. The operating facilities, the malthouse and the barley storehouse were extended and improved with intensive ventilation.
A new brewhouse was constructed and the company's
own workshops were expanded.
The storage cellar was extended.
Au début de la guerre, les matières premières et la nourriture étaient rationnées.
L'époque de la « Bière de table » et des « Boissons similaire à la bière » commence.
The 75th anniversary of the brewery is celebrated in a modest setting. Many of the employees were on the front line. The number of employees was 150. The company's own premises amounted to 13,000 square meters of built-up area; the vehicle fleet had 30 modern motor vehicles with trailers and 10 horses with equipment.
Karl Silbernagel retires from business at the age of 74.
To secure food supplies after the end of the war on 8 may 1945, an absolute ban on brewing beer was imposed. During the war, 21 employees of our brewery died in battle and six more were listed as missing.
The absolute ban of brewing was lifted.
Erich Schonheim joins the management board.
The company employs 130 people. For the first time “Märzenbier” and “Bellheimer Bock” are produced again. The share of bottles in the total output is only 8.5 percent. The brewing ban in the French zone is lifted.
Bellheimer “Champagnerweizen”, a filtered wheat beer, was introduced.
Bellheimer Lord-Pils came on the market
in the 0.33 l bottle.
Dr. Gerhard Hage and Dr. Klaus Schneider were
appointed to the Management Board.
The production of soft drinks began.
The production plant was continuously expanded.
The company premises now covered
50,000 square metres.
The brewery took over the Löwenbrauerei
9. Juli 1985
Director Franz Hage retires from the company after 56 years on the board.
9. August 1989
Franz Hage dies.
The new fermentation and storage cellar of the
Bellheimer brewery is put into operation.
21. Juni 1993
The brewery receives the approval and permission to extract mineral water from the well “Bellaris”.
5. Dezember 1995
The Park & Bellheimer AG is created, through the merger of the companies Parkbrauerei AG and Bellheimer Privatbrauerei K. Silbernagel AG and Bellheimer Mineralquellen GmbH.
Theo de Groen takes over the majority of shares in Park & Bellheimer AG and manages the company as a member of the Management Board.
The first Bellheimer Lord is presented to the public.
The renovated bottling hall in Bellheim is officially put into operation.
The ACTRIS AG takes over the majority of shares.
The Bellheimer Brewery regains its independence through the takeover of the majority of shares by Mr Roald Pauli. The brewery is consistently led into the future with a regional focus. Large investments contribute to its modernisation.
The brewery celebrates its 150th anniversary. Amazing events inspired thousands of visitors. In addition, there were attractive antique glasses, as well as the Bellheimer Silber Pils with the traditional label and the new beer Lager hell.
The new combined heat and power unit was officially put into operation, a forward-looking investment.
Two new fermentation and storage tanks were installed. The new tanks with a volume of 4,800 hl increased the capacity to 12,800 hl.
The brewhouse is now equipped with a newly installed control system. So our brewers have a system that optimally supports their work in the brewing process
and that ensures high beer quality.
In the Bellheimer brewery the new filling line
for kegs is put into operation.
Due to the integrated robot control,
up to 300 kegs can be filled in one hour.
An investment of around 2.000.00 euros.
The robot named - Karl - helps the Bellheimer team
with the filling of our beer specialties.
Thus one of the most modern filling machines
in Europe has been installed in Bellheim.